A quick sketch while everyone was sleeping off their Christmas dinner. I am going to attempt a wolf puppet next….more info on my subject in my next post.
I have had so much fun!
There has been double sided tape, model makers grass, broken jewelery ,broken Christmas ornaments and feather boas all pressed into use on my Queen. I could keep adding more, but I think I will stop now.she has been awkward to photograph, and is currently resting on a kitchen roll stuffed onto a wine bottle for balance. A small video may come in the new year after I have had folks around to help me….
I have still got to find some alternative rods….the ones I have used are plant sticks, they are ugly and are too obvious. I am thinking wire coat hangers might be useful, and a friend mentioned bicycle spokes, but there do not seem to be any wire coat hangars in the house, and I can’t cannibalise someone’s bike for a spoke, so the rods will have to wait.
This project has been great for me as I am currently recovering from a broken shoulder, my movement is restricted but I need to keep using my arm is gentle activity…puppet making has been perfect!
I will be stopping now as I need to organise my Christmas , but I will be sketching and gathering bits and pieces for my next attempt….. I hope everyone has a wonderful, creative and Merry Christmas 🙂
I found an interesting image on google of a Slavic ‘Childs’ costume representing winter, and I have used my puppet so far and drawn over it on my ipad…
Things I have learnt so far
Size matters, I think I next time I would make my puppet larger. Glove puppet size has made fabrics feel stiff and lumpy whereas they would flow more easily on a larger puppet.
I am concerned that I have made a doll and not a little character which is what I think puppets are. My puppet is stiff and lacks something…..
Limbs, get the proportions right.
Weight..I may be wrong, but my puppet is quite light, I am wondering if she were a little heavier it would give her more personality….
All this is fascinating, I am enjoying all the planning and ideas that are going into this little puppet.
And the last photo is my puppet so far. She will change a few times before she is finished I’m sure.
Arms and legs in progress. A gathering of bits and pieces that I want to use, and I couldn’t resist making he a pannier to pad out her thin old form…… I really hope that she gets even a tiny bit close to how I am imagining her. The trouble is, I have so many ideas…. I may have to make more puppets, this one really is a learning curve……great fun though.
I have done sketches, and thought a while about how I want my puppet to look, but I am impatient to get on with the physical making of her.
I had an old papier mâché head that I made years ago,so I have used that as a beginning. The head will be re-painted as it is pretty awful .
I started by sewing and stuffing a body made from calico,and then because I don’t want such a smooth texture, I have covered it all in wrinkly tissue. I am treating this attempt as a sketch although if it goes well I will move on to another puppet.
I must remember to take more progress shots too……
I have gone with a blackened frost bitten colour for my queen, to show how how separate and cruel she is. The snow Queen was one of the most frightening characters for me as a child…..
I sketched this on my ipad…very useful for getting